Thursday, October 8, 2009

A New Project ...

Ah... What joy in the prospect of a new challenge!

The project/request: Birthday present to wife of calligraphy of poem (self-written by husband I might add - definitely some nice brownie points heading his way!!) and photo mount & design.

Info given: A tribute to her grandmother; Home decor is navy with stars.

Hmmmm - my brain began a-churnin'...

I new that I wanted to incorporate some primitive stars - perhaps to represent the heavens as her grandmother had just passed away, and something to signify "family"... And for me, that is a tree - - love, love my trees! I thought that this would be a nice effect since she is an autumn birthday gal. And, so the design began to form ...

Since I ran into some trouble acquiring the right mat, I decided to try something new ... layering/mounting. I created my own layered mat, adding details, torn edges and stain around the photograph to compliment the poem design. Thereafter, I settled on painting the tree onto coldpress to cut out and mount on the piece, as well as the individual leaves and berries. I really liked the depth it gave to the design - - I think that this may just be the start of something new for me ... I've always just added depth by my paint strokes - this is fun!
After pulling an all-nighter (so much easier to create when all are asleep!), I closed the frame ...



Happy Birthday, Jodi! :)

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.

~Leonardo da Vinci

No comments: