Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wonders to Paint, Smiles to Share & Eyes to ROLL ... :)

So, this afternoon was our second Book Club meeting ...

The book to discuss: The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs

How the girls rated this book: ... "3" out of 5 stars

A couple really enjoyed it - Some just enjoyed it - some said it was "okay" - while others gave it a zero!

My vote? ... I joined the "okay" group of opinion. Not too bad, but truthfully, not too good, either. This story had me disappointed from the get go, to be honest.
I expected more adventure of exploration to unknown grounds, more discovery to the beauty and gifts within one's own community and certainly more (or at least one!) inspiring declaration of wonders. I did not expect to find the wonders to be the likes of a dried, apple-headed doll; an old bookcase; etc. Now, the stories were interesting behind each object ... but odd. The bottom line was that it just was not what I expected ... especially considering the challenge that I had laid out for the girls of finding a wonder of their own within our community.

Luckily - - they did a great job! (big smiles!)

So, after our discussion and lunch ... an Art Fest began -
- capturing their wonder onto canvas ...
Truly, I tell you - - I had no idea what talent made up our little ole' book club ... these girls are true-blue ARTISTS!
It was inspiring just to watch them sketch designs, mix colors and bring such beauty to a plain canvas ... love it! All the while, they shared stories and jokes, compliments and smiles ... and a lot of giggles. The only disturbance to the delightful, engaging afternoon were the desperate sighs and rolling of eyes when I turned on some classical music ...
Culture, I demanded!! Their response? Why not hip-hop? ... Good grief! I could only imagine how much paint would have actually made it to the canvas had they been laying brush strokes to "Baby Got Back" - okay, so that's a throwback to my hay-days, but completely doable!
Thankfully, they moved on - - perhaps even enjoyed the sound! - - and worked their creative magic ... some even completed their project! Stay tuned for an early-bird showing of Friends in the Park Book Club presents ... Our Community - Our World .... Our Wonders! :)
If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life.
- Rachel Carson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello my sweet daughter in law I am glad you girls had a nice afternoon sorry the book wasnt that great but it keeps them reading thats the important thing. I cant wait to see the pics the girls painted. Love to all Mom covey