Sunday, October 27, 2013

... the perfect autumn treat :)

Life is too busy, isn't it?

Just when one project closes up ... my mind begins to wander in its dreamy, designing way and pounces on new ideas  - - new goals, and so the cycle continues ... another project is born.

What typically gets lost on my To Do List are my domesticated whims of becoming Betty Crocker and Martha Stewart ... in other words, home cooking & a tidy house!

So ...when I feel that I am a total slacker at home - - I pull out the vacuum and flip the switch to end the reproduction of dust bunnies, tie an apron around my waist to look the part (it actually is quite motivating!), and scour the Internet for a seasonal treat to make for the family ... 

And, boy - did I ever find one!  It's a keeper in my book (and that book is an overflowing Recipe binder that had it's good intentions of becoming an orderly keepsake to be passed down ... but has since become two hard covers that can only be closed by squeezing them tightly so that the folded printouts from Allrecipes.com will not fall out - - what can I say??  Life's busy.)

So, here we are ... I found this decadent little gem at one of my favorite spots on the web:  Sara Jane Studios.  I am going to share the recipe that I made below, because I did make a couple changes (italicized) ... one of them being NO BUTTER - NO OIL!!!  I substituted the 1 CUP of OIL (Yikes!) for 1 CUP of applesauce - - and it turned out BEAUTIFULLY :)  
... 

Spiced Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Makes 2 loaves

Dry ingredients
2 ½ C. all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp Allspice
2 C white granulated sugar

Wet ingredients
15 oz canned pumpkin puree
4 whole eggs
1 C dark brown sugar
1 C applesauce
2/3 C water
1 tsp vanilla
1 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
 Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls.  Combine the dry to wet with mixer on low.  Mix ingredients only until combined (don’t over mix) 

  • Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Grease and flour two loaf pans and pour the batter evenly between the two.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with no gooey batter stuck to it.  Bake for around 50 minutes. 
Note:  If eaten while it is still cooling ... this bread tends to taste a little too spicy.  However, after it is completely cooled, the flavors all meld together and it is perfectly delicious!    

Now ... go on - try the recipe and while it is baking and filling your home with an aroma of such incredible goodness - pour yourself a hot beverage - wrap your favorite sweater around your shoulders - go outside and BREATHE that incredible autumn air.
 14 Fabulous Fall Quotes: Wonderful Words for Autumn!

No comments: