Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Hi-Ho, the Merry-O, Antiquing We Will Go ..."

Do you know that song? It's one of my favorites this time of year ... :)

The other day I found some true treasures, at least in my opinion, at the sweetest shop, The Red Squirrel Cottage. Absolutely, love this little nook in our world!

I wanted to beautify my ancient front porch (in definite need of repair ... we'll just add that to the lo-o-o-ng list! LOL!), so I was "a-hunting" some little pretties to spruce it up.

I found ...A lovely, amber glass candy bowl. I loved the delicate design etched throughout this piece.
I'm not sure what one would call this, but I loved it for its soft, green hue and design.
This little, step ladder that looked well-loved was the perfect fit to raise up some flowers to the sun. It reminded me of my Pap ... he loved to work around the house and was quite messy when he did. I picture his step ladder to have been just as loved :)
Antique saucer dishes tucked beneath the blossoms. They are pretty, but the real winner here is the flower box that my husband and father-in-law made for me ... all six of them! My hubby - He's a keeper, isn't he, girls!
Now, brace yourselves ... this is, by far, my most treasured piece (other than my beloved bookcase) ...
Is that not just the sweetest, itty-bitty table? Have you ever experienced a moment when you are browsing through a yard sale, flea-tique, or shoppe and it is as though the clouds have parted, and the sun shines its brilliant rays upon an item that you have dreamt about ... and if you did not grab and purchase that little treasure, you would leave there, remissed, and carry an aching heart - - okay, perhaps a bit dramatic, but you get the point. This was that moment ... albeit, the sun was my mother, and the rays of light were actually her pulling me towards the piece declaring, "Jenny, you need to buy this!" All in all, quite the same experience! :)
My itty-bitty table is carrying, most lovingly, my magazine of choice, "Home Companion." So, if you are ever on my porch, sipping some sun tea and would like to be inspired, grab any edition and nestled in to my favorite spot ...
Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.

~John Lubbock~

3 comments:

Sara@iSass said...

I think I love that porch!!!

Donna said...

Wow, you found some lovely things. The little table is the Sweetest!

Hugs,
Donna

Catherine Holman said...

Jenny,
I love how you used the china in your garden and window boxes!
Hugs,
Cathie