Thursday, June 25, 2009

For the LOVE of the Seashore ...

Donna at Mourning Dove Cottage has inspired me this day. Apparently, the love of shell collecting is a shared passion! By taking grapevine, sea shells and moss, she created the sweetest wreath! Stop by to see!
After viewing her work, it reminded me of my own collection ...
... However, this is just a snippet!

Even though we live hundreds of miles from any coast, I've always felt my heartstrings pull to the sea ... as if it were a part of me - like salt water running through my veins. Every vacation led to its own collection of shells. However, when planning our wedding - I went a wee bit crazy and stocked up (and I mean large Rubbermaid containers!) on shells, sand dollars, starfish, and sea glass and created our very own oasis of the shore - cottage style - minus the ocean!

Creating decorations were my most favorite part of planning our day...(not of THE day, just planning the day! :)
Wreaths and garland ...
... distressed buckets of hydrangeas and pretties ...... even our bouquets ... I have used and reused all of it, over the years, by decorating our home, hosting parties - even creating gifts! One piece that I've made, but have kept to myself :) is a pendant ...
I twisted and framed a piece of sea glass with wire. Then, adorned it with pearls and the tiniest seashells. When I wear this, I swear that I can smell the salt air and feel its breeze in my hair. Then, to cure this ache ... I pick up a book of Dorthea Benton Frank and its as if I've hopped on a plane and headed to the coast - - in the low country, that is ... :).
Mint Juleps, anyone??

Sit in reverie, and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind”
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

3 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Jenny,
I'm happy to have inspired you with my seashells! And guess what? You've just inspired me with your beautiful pendant! I love it.

Also love that wonderful quote!

Enjoy your day!
Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Your pendant is gorgeous! The sea glass is such a pretty shade of blue/green.

Tolentreasures said...

I feel the same way about the ocean. Have visited about every beach on the Eastern shore and love them all. Your wedding decoration were beautiful and after four weddings in the last five years, I too am recycling decorations everywhere. I just put out wedding arrangements at the church last week for this month, lots more in the attic to use!

Cathy